Southern University and A&M College has a 130 year legacy of excellence in higher education. Southern University and A&M College System is the only historically black university system in America, with an enrollment of more than 15,000 students throughout five campuses in Louisiana. Students attend from 46 states and from at least 40 foreign countries.
- Chrisena Williams-Brown, Coordinator of LMS/Web Services for Southern University and A&M College shared how SUBR uses IntelliBoard to help achieve educational goals:
- The way we use IntelliBoard at Southern University in Baton Rouge varies.
- Our Chairs have the ability to view the activities of faculty and encourage them to utilize Moodle more frequently. They’re looking at ways to improve their classes; they want to see more student engagement in the activities in the various courses.
- Faculty members inquire about student activity in their online classes. For instance, I met with a dean who wanted to “up her game” with classes that she was teaching. I pulled up the IntelliBoard Instructor Dashboard for her to view what was occurring in her class. When she looked at the report she said, “Okay, well, I see that the students are not looking at the videos, but they’re doing XYZ.” I explained how IntelliBoard shows where changes could be made and suggested incorporating discussion questions on the accompanying video. She altered her course activities to include those that were more engaging.
- We also have instances where our athletic department uses IntelliBoard to track athletes’ course activities. Advisors receive weekly reports on the activities of their students. One of the reports that they like is “Past Due Assignments.” They use this and other reports to ensure student eligibility requirements.
- This summer, we have a newly formed “Freshman Academy.” The director plans to pilot the use of IntelliBoard for students enrolled in the Academy. This will be used for retention purposes.
- IntelliBoard allows our faculty to see where improvements can be made in their courses. “Okay, let’s push to become a little more assertive with our LMS and improve the engagement from both sides.”